What I Have Learned, What We Have Learned

I have learned a lot in my time in Tracey Penny Lights pre-confederation Canadian history class, and I think that the best way to summerize it is to say “Never take something at face value, always look for the secrets in things.”. This is what Tracey really taught us to do, of course she also taught us about the Beothuk, The Chilcotin War, slavery in Canada and its eventual downfall, and about the three different sieges of Quebec City, but what she really taught us is to never take things for what they are, always look for the biases, the lies, or the hidden truths. She taught us how to think creatively, how to read between the lines in historical documents and research papers. Perhaps most important of all she has taught us what it means to be Canadian, from the dark and dirty stuff most would rather forget, to the great and shining stuff that makes us want thank whatever deity you may or not believe in that you were born were you were born or for the journey that brought you to Canada. Just saying thanks will never be enough, but its the best that I can do, so Here’s to you Tracey, thanks.